Soup mixes are a great gift idea! This recipe includes some canned ingred. so it will have to be added to a gift basket or Gift bag from the dollar store.
Tortilla Soup Mix in a Jar
Ingredients for Jar:
1 cup converted long grain rice
2 to 2-1/2 cups lightly crushed tortilla chips
Ingred. to add in the basket or gift bag
1 (5 oz.) can chicken
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 sm. can diced green chilies
Seasonings: Mix the following and place in a thin zipper sandwich bag.
2 T. chicken bouillon granules
2 t. lemonade powder with sugar
1 t. lemon pepper
1 t. dried cilantro leaves
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. salt
1/4 cup dried minced onions
Size of jar: Quart
Place ingredients in jar in this order:
1. Place rice in jar first.
2. Place seasoning packet into jar next. Gently flatten bag so it is visible from all sides of jar.
3. Fill jar with tortilla chips.
4. Put lid on jar.
5. Decorate jar.
6. Attach the following recipe to jar.
1. Carefully empty tortilla chips from jar into a dish. Set aside.
2. Remove seasoning packet. Set aside.
3. Place rice in large pan. Add 10 cups water and 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies and seasonings from packet.
4. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
5. Add tortilla chips. Cover and simmer 5 more minutes. Serve immediately. Makes 12 cups soup.
Basket: Add the Jar mix, can of chicken, can of diced tomatoes & can of green chilies.